This hot spiked apple cider recipe hits all the cozy notes! Rum or bourbon perfectly complement the cinnamon, cloves, and star anise.
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- 3 star anise
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 8 cups apple cider
- 1 cup rum (of any kind) or bourbon
- For the garnish: star anise, cinnamon stick, orange slice
- Toast the spices: Add the spices to the bottom of a pot*. Toast over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Simmer: Turn the heat to low. Pour in the apple cider and bring to below a simmer, just barely bubbling. Set a timer for 30 minutes and reduce to low heat (don’t let it simmer).
- Filter: Skim off any particulate that rises to the top of the pot using a fine mesh sieve or strainer (or you can pour it through a strainer into another pot).
- Serve: Pour in the rum or bourbon (or add 2 ounces to each 1 cup serving). Ladle into 8 mugs. If desired, garnish with star anise, cinnamon stick, or an orange slice.
*Or, go to Crockpot Apple Cider for slow cooker or Instant Pot instructions. Make the cider, then add the rum or bourbon before serving.
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Spiked apple cider, spiked apple cider recipe, spiked cider, spiked hot apple cider