This Spanish rice and beans brings big flavor to humble ingredients! It’s a tasty vegan and vegetarian main dish or easy side dish.
- 1/2 medium white onion (1 cup finely diced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups medium or long grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers*
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 15-ounce can beans (kidney, pinto, or black beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers from a jar
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Finely dice the onion.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the rice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the salsa, adobo sauce, broth, and kosher salt.
- Bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes until all the liquid is cooked out. Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes to steam.
- Fluff with a fork. Stir in the beans (drained and rinsed), chopped roasted red peppers and cilantro. Serve immediately.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: Spanish beans and rice