Have you tried smashed Brussels sprouts? This recipe is truly special: they come out crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts* (off the stem)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder and onion powder
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add 1 tablespoon of kosher salt to a large pot of water and bring it to a boil.
- Slice off the tough ends of the Brussels sprouts. Boil the sprouts 6 to 8 minutes** until still bright green but very tender and able to smash gently with the back of a glass (remove one and test it). Drain the sprouts and allow them to steam in a strainer for 3 minutes.
- Pat the sprouts dry with a clean towel a few handfuls at a time, and place them in a large bowl (you’ll want them as dry as possible to get the oil to stick). Mix them with the olive oil, kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper.
- Place the Brussels sprouts on a parchment lined-baking sheet. Use a small skillet to gently mash a few at a time until they are gently are smashed but not mutilated (if you smash too hard, they tend to fall apart). Top with the shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake the Brussels sprouts for 22 to 25 minutes* until they are browned and crispy: no need to flip. Taste and add another sprinkle of salt if necessary. Enjoy immediately. (We don’t recommend roasting these in advance: you’ll want to serve them right from the oven so they’re crispy.)
*If you double the recipe for entertaining, keep in mind it will take longer in the oven to get browned and crispy since there’s more surface area and moisture with two trays.
**Make ahead tip: you can boil the Brussels sprouts in advance and refrigerate until roasting. Make sure to pat dry before adding the oil and seasonings in Step 4.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Smashed Brussels sprouts, Smashed Brussels sprouts recipe