This quinoa with roasted vegetables is a delicious mix of butternut squash, cauliflower, red onion and potatoes! It’s a perfect plant-based lunch or dinner.
- 1 pound butternut squash
- 1 pound fingerling and/or red potatoes
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 2 medium red onions
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary (chopped)
- 4 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups quinoa
- 15 ounce-can chickpeas (1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Chop the butternut squash (see the video below!). Chop the cauliflower into bite sized florets. Chop the potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Slice the onions. Smash the garlic cloves; cut larger cloves in half. Chop the rosemary.
- In a large bowl, mix the vegetables and rosemary with 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and spread the veggies evenly between the two trays. Place the trays in the oven and roast 45 to 50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all vegetables are tender. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa (or use our Instant Pot quinoa method): Place 2 cups quinoa in a saucepan with 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to very low. Cover the pot, and simmer where the water is just bubbling for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the water has been completely absorbed. (Check by pulling back the quinoa with a fork to see if water remains.) Turn off the heat and let sit covered to steam for about 5 minutes. Cover and leave warm in the pan until serving.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. In a large bowl, combine the vegetables with the cooked quinoa and chickpeas. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Serve warm.
For any leftovers, reheat and add a bit more olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Quinoa with roasted vegetables