These refried bean tacos are the perfect fast and easy dinner recipe! They come together in just 15 minutes and are endlessly customizable.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 15-ounce cans refried beans (or make homemade refried beans)*
- 1 large garlic clove (or as a shortcut, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (or 1/2 yellow and 1/2 orange), finely diced
- Pickled Red Onions or sliced red onion
- Taco sauce (purchased or homemade) or Chipotle Sauce, required!
- Fresh cilantro, torn
- 8 tortillas, corn or flour
- Optional: Shredded cheese, feta or queso fresco, sour cream or cashew cream (or Vegan Cilantro Sauce or Cilantro Lime Sauce)
- Make the filling: Mince the garlic. In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds until fragrant but not yet browned (or skip this step and use garlic powder instead). Heat the refried beans, cumin and kosher salt until warmed, about 3 minutes. Taste and adjust flavors as desired.
- Prep the veggies: Chop the lettuce. Dice the bell pepper. Prep the other toppings as desired. (If using pickled red onions, it’s easiest to make them in advance.)
- Warm the tortillas: Warm and char the tortillas by placing them on an open gas flame on medium for a few seconds per side, flipping with tongs, until they are slightly blackened and warm. (See How to Warm Tortillas.)
- Serve: Place the refried beans in the tortillas, then top with toppings and enjoy.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican inspired
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Refried bean tacos