Need a meal in a flash? This speed demon quick chili recipe is just the thing: in 25 minutes you’ve got an easy dinner!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 cups (10 to 12 ounces) plant-based crumbles* (or 1 pound cooked and drained ground beef)
- 2 28-ounce cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 15-ounce cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup water (or broth), optional
- Mexican hot sauce (we like Cholula), optional
- For topping: Shredded cheese, sour cream (or vegan sour cream), sliced green onions, pickled onions or jalapenos,
- Dice the onion.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in pot or Dutch oven. Cook the onion for 4 to 5 minutes until translucent.
- Stir in the veggie crumbles and cook 1 more minute. Add the diced tomatoes and their juices, drained and rinsed kidney beans, chili powder, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and kosher salt.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes. If it’s very chunky, add up to 1 cup water or broth: all brands of diced tomatoes and veggie crumbles have different levels of moisture.
- Taste and add a few pinches kosher salt and some shakes of hot sauce to taste. Serve warm garnished with your favorite chili toppings.
*Plant-based crumbles vary widely based on the brand. Review the label to make sure they are not overly processed. We used Beyond Meat Beyond Beef Plant Based Crumbles, which are made of pea protein and have a meat-like texture. Different brands have different textures and ingredients to fit different diets (vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free). Experiment to find a brand you love!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Quick chili recipe, quick chili