These pumpkin stuffed shells are a stunning vegetarian main dish! Two cheeses, spinach and pumpkin puree are baked up in a quick marinara.
- 12 ounces jumbo shells
- Homemade Spaghetti Sauce, double recipe of Homemade Easy Pizza Sauce (you can use a 28 ounce can tomatoes), or 28-ounce jar purchased marinara sauce
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup shredded Pecorino or Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Boil the shells until al dente, according to the package instructions.
- Make the Homemade Spaghetti Sauce or Homemade Easy Pizza Sauce.
- When the pasta is done, you’ll use the boiling pasta water to wilt the spinach. To prepare, place the spinach leaves in the colander. Once the pasta is al dente, remove from the heat and pour over enough boiling water to fully wilt it. Place the pot back on the stove and use a spoon to remove the hot greens to a bowl, then drain the pasta into the colander. Return the pasta to the pan with a drizzle of olive oil to prevent sticking. Squeeze out all the water from the greens using a paper towel, then chop it roughly.
- To make the filling, combine the chopped spinach with the ricotta, Mozzarella, pumpkin puree, chili powder, nutmeg, sage, salt, and several grinds of black pepper in a medium bowl. Taste, and adjust seasonings as desired. Then stir in the egg.
- Spread some of tomato sauce across the bottom of a 9 x 13 and 9 x 9 pans. Fill each shell with the filling, then arrange them in a single layer in the pan: 24 shells in the 9 x 13 and 15 in the 9 x 9.
- Top each pan with shredded Pecorino or Parmesan cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the filling is warm.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Stuffed Shells Recipe, Stuffed Shells, Pumpkin Stuffed Shells, Pumpkin Pasta, Spinach, Stuffed Shells with Spinach, Vegetarian, Thanksgiving, Pumpkin Recipes