This pumpkin pasta sauce recipe is lusciously creamy, flavored with savory spices and Parmesan. Serve it over penne pasta for an easy meatless meal.
- 1 pound penne pasta (or gluten-free pasta)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin purée
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more to garnish
- Start a pot of salted water to boil, then boil the pasta until al dente. When done, drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
- Mince the garlic. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat; add the garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, or just until the garlic is fragrant but not browned.
- Carefully add the pumpkin purée and broth to the skillet and stir to fully combine. Add the chili powder, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, kosher salt, and several grinds of black pepper. Cover and bring it to a high simmer, bubbling constantly. then cook for 10 to 15 minutes until thickened. Once thickened, place 1/2 cup of the sauce in a small bowl and mix it with the Greek yogurt, then add the mixture back to the pan and stir to combine. Add the shredded Parmesan and stir until mostly melted. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Pour the pumpkin Parmesan sauce onto the pasta. Serve immediately, garnished with additional grated Parmesan cheese.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Pumpkin Pasta, Pumpkin Penne, Penne Pasta, Vegetarian, Fall, Healthy Dinner Recipe, Parmesan