This potato leek soup recipe is classic and lusciously creamy! Cozy up to a bowl of this fall simple favorite.
- 3 tablespoons salted butter (or olive oil)
- 2 large or 4 small leeks (4 cups thinly sliced), white and light green parts
- 3 celery ribs
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and small diced (5 cups diced)
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (or make a bouquet garni)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Chives, for garnish
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the leeks, celery and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 8 minutes until the leeks are very tender but not browned.
- Add the chopped potato, vegetable broth, water, fresh thyme, bay leaf, and salt and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Remove the thyme and bay leaf.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Add the cream and blend again. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: Soup
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Potato leek soup