This pita pizza recipe makes a fast and easy meal! Pita bread stands in as the crust of these personal pizzas.
- 3/4 cup Homemade Pizza Sauce (or Roasted Red Pepper Sauce*)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Grated or shredded Parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
- Fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
- Other toppings: chopped artichoke hearts, red onion, sliced cherry tomatoes, jarred roasted red peppers*, sauteed mushrooms, prosciutto, mini pepperoni, chopped bell peppers, pesto, feta, goat cheese, smoked mozzarella or gouda, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit with a pizza stone if you have one.
- Make the Homemade Pizza Sauce.
- Brush both sides of each pita lightly with olive oil. Top each pita with 3 tablespoons pizza sauce and ¼ cup shredded mozzarella. Add a sprinkle of grated Parmesan and a small pinch of salt. Add additional bite-size chopped toppings if desired (but not the basil).
- Cook using one of the following methods:
- Pizza stone (crispiest): Place as many pizzas as fit directly onto the preheated pizza stone (our large stone fits four). Bake 5 minutes until crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Oven rack: Place the pizzas directly onto the oven racks, placing a baking sheet underneath to catch any drips. Bake 5 minutes until crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Top with fresh basil, if using. Slice into pieces and serve.
*For the Roasted Red Pepper Sauce, in a food processor or blender, place 6 ounces roasted red peppers (half a 12-ounce jar), 10 sundried tomatoes, and 1 tablespoon of the oil from the sun-dried tomato jar. Purée until smooth. Taste and add salt as desired. Use the remaining roasted red peppers to top the pizzas, sliced into thin strips.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Pizza
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Pita pizza, pita bread pizza, pita pizza recipe