These pecan butter millionaire bars have 3 layers: shortbread, nut butter, and chocolate! This easy dessert recipe couldn’t be tastier. Recipe revised December 2020.
For the shortbread layer
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (or pure maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter (or room temperature coconut oil)
For the nut butter layer
- 3/4 cup homemade pecan butter or creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (or coconut oil)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (or pure maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
For the chocolate layer
- 4 ounces or 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips (vegan if desired)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or coconut oil)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 9×9 inch square pan with parchment paper.
- Make the shortbread: In a medium bowl, stir together the flour and kosher salt. Add the melted butter (or room temperature coconut oil) and sugar or maple syrup and stir it together with a spoon. When it starts to come together, use your hands to knead it into a dough. Use your fingers to squeeze out any lumps in the coconut oil and knead until it comes together into a playdough-like texture. Press the dough into the pan in an even layer that covers the entire bottom; you can use a small glass to help roll it out (we used a shot glass!). Bake about 15 minutes until lightly browned on the edges. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes until room temperature.
- Meanwhile, make the pecan butter (optional): Go to Easy Pecan Butter for instructions. Measure out 3/4 cup pecan butter for the recipe.
- Make the nut butter layer: In a saucepan, melt the butter (or coconut oil), sugar (or maple syrup) and vanilla over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Add the pecan or peanut butter and salt and stir until combined. Pour onto the cooled crust, shaking the pan as necessary to get an even layer. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Make the chocolate layer: Place the butter (or coconut oil) in a small saucepan over low heat and melt the butter. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips, stirring until fully incorporated and liquid. Immediately pour the chocolate layer onto the top of the nut butter layer. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Cut the bars: Remove the bars from the refrigerator, loosen them from the edges of the pan with a sharp knife, and remove them from the pan using the parchment paper. Cut into 1 inch by 2.25 inch rectangles, to make 36 rectangles in all. (If there is any cracking, allow the chocolate to sit at room temperature for a few minutes to warm) Eat immediately or refrigerate until serving (the chocolate hardens more after a few hours, but it’s delicious immediately too).
*We don’t recommend using gluten free flour in this recipe; it’s a bit too dry!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Millionaire Bars