This classic vegan butternut squash soup recipe has just the right fall flavor! Creamy and cozy, serve it with crusty bread for an easy meal.
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon peeled and finely grated ginger
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrots (about 2 medium or 1 very large)
- 1 medium butternut squash (4 cups chopped)*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk, plus more to garnish
- Optional garnishes: fresh chopped parsley, pepitas
- Dice the onion. Mince the garlic. Peel and cut the ginger. Peel and chop the carrots. Peel and dice the butternut squash.
- In a medium stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Add the carrots, squash, vegetable broth, dried sage, and kosher salt and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook until carrots and squash are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas and the coconut milk. Use a liquid measuring cup to carefully transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth (puree it in batches if it’s a standard size blender). Taste and add a little more salt if necessary. If desired, drizzle with a bit of coconut milk before serving.
*To speed up prep, substitute frozen butternut squash.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Butternut squash soup recipe, vegan butternut squash soup