Nicoise salad is a French main dish that’s hearty and satisfying! This colorful Mediterranean recipe is ideal for summer or anytime.
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes
- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 1 small shallot (2 tablespoons minced)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup Nicoise or Kalamata olives
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes or 1 large tomato
- 2 cans tuna, packed in oil or water
- 1 head Bibb lettuce (aka butter lettuce)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Cook the hard boiled eggs: Follow the instructions to make the Hard Boiled Eggs or Steamed Hard Boiled Eggs, or complete this step in advance and refrigerate.
- Boil the potatoes: Fill a large pot with cold water and add 1 tablespoon kosher salt. Add the whole potatoes and bring to a boil. Once boiling, boil for 8 to 12 minutes until fork tender.
- Blanch the beans: Cut the ends off the beans. Bring a separate medium pot of water to a boil with 1/2 tablespoon salt. Boil the beans for about 5 minutes until tender but still bright green. Prepare a large bowl of ice water (or use the same one as for the hard boiled eggs). Right when the beans are tender, remove them from the boiling water with tongs and transfer them to the ice bath. Remove the beans and dry them with a towel, then mix them with a few pinches of salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Finish the potatoes: While the potatoes are cooking, mince the shallot. When the potatoes are done, drain them. When they are cool enough to handle, slice them into bite sized pieces. Place them in a bowl and gently mix in the minced shallot, white wine vinegar, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, and ¼ cup warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes, gently stirring occasionally. Then add the capers, chopped parsley, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and a few grinds black pepper. Taste and add additional salt if necessary.
- Make the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Gradually whisk in 6 tablespoons olive oil working one tablespoon at a time, until creamy and emulsified.
- Prep the salad ingredients: Slice the tomatoes into wedges (or cherry tomatoes in half) and sprinkle with a little kosher salt.
- Prep the tuna: Drain the tuna and flake it using a fork. If not packed in oil, add a drizzle of olive oil and a few pinches of salt.
- Serve: To serve, in large shallow bowls or on large platters, add the Bibb lettuce leaves. Top with the potatoes, green beans, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, tuna, and olives. Drizzle with the dressing and serve.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: French
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: Nicoise salad, salad nicoise, nicoise salad recipe, salade nicoise