Here’s the very best nachos recipe, loaded with all the classic toppings! These tips make a delicious sheet pan everyone will love.
For the nachos
- 1 1/2 cups Walnut Taco Meat or 1 pound ground beef
- 1 15-ounce can refried beans
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 6 ounces organic corn chips (approximately 1 sheet pan)
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack or Mexican blend cheese (or Vegan Nacho Cheese, for vegan)
For the toppings
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo (or finely diced tomato and red onion)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper or 1/4 cup pickled jalapeños
- Sour cream, for garnish (omit for vegan and use cashew cream or nacho cheese)
- Guacamole, for garnish
- Optional toppings: Black olives, lettuce or corn
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For the meat: Make the Walnut Taco Meat (or make it in advance; it stores well). Or if using ground beef, add it to a skillet with 1 tablespoon cumin and 1 teaspoon each smoked paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Cook for about 8 minutes until browned, then drain the fat.
- For the beans: Mix the refried beans with the salsa. Taste and add a few pinches kosher salt if desired.
- Bake the nachos: Line a standard-sized baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the chips in a single layer on top (to avoid soggy chips, you can also pre-bake them for about 3 minutes until they are toasted and fragrant). Add a sprinkle of cheese (this also helps to keep them less soggy). Then add a layer of the beans, then the remaining cheese and taco meat. Bake 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese melts, then remove from the oven. (Optional: Add a smoky flair by charring the cheese with a kitchen torch — only if you have one, but it adds mega flavor!)
- Top the nachos: Top with the pico de gallo, cilantro, green onion and jalapenos. Dollop with sour cream and guacamole and serve.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
Keywords: Nachos, Nachos recipe, Best nachos recipe