There’s so much more to Mexican cocktails than just the margarita! Here are the drinks that are worth adding to your repertoire, both traditional Mexican and tequila spins on classics.
For the Margarita
- 1 ½ ounces* tequila blanco or reposado
- 1 ounce Cointreau
- ¾ ounce fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt or flaky sea salt, for the rim
- For the garnish: Lime wedge
For the Paloma
- 4 tablespoons tequila blanco
- 4 tablespoons fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or simple syrup
- 2 tablespoons soda water
- Flaky sea salt & grapefruit wedge, for the garnish
For the Mexican Mule
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- 4 ounces ginger beer
- For the garnish: lime slice
- For the Margarita: Cut a notch in a lime wedge, then run the lime around the rim of a glass. Dip the edge of the rim into a plate of salt. Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with 4 ice cubes and shake until cold. Strain the margarita into the glass with the salted rim. Fill the glass with ice and serve.
- For the Paloma: Cut a notch in the grapefruit wedge, then run the grapefruit around the rim of a glass. Dip the edge of the rim into a plate of flaky sea salt. To the glass, add the tequila, grapefruit juice, lime juice, syrup and stir until combined. Fill the glass with ice (clear ice if you want to get fancy!). Top with soda water and serve!
- For the Mexican Mule: In a copper mug or glass, pour in the tequila, lime juice, and ginger beer. Add ice and garnish with a lime slice. Serve immediately.
*To convert to ounces, 1 ounce = 2 tablespoons
- Category: Drink
- Method: Poured
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Mexican cocktails, Mexican mule