This fresh and zesty Mediterranean-style lentil salad is packed with big flavor and lots of protein! It’s perfect as a side dish recipe or lunch idea.
For the lentils
- 1 pound black beluga lentils or French lentils
- 1 quart vegetable broth+ 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
For the lentil salad
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice + zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or chives (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt + fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup baby arugula, plus more to serve
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbles, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup pistachios, plus more for garnish
- 3 radishes, for garnish
- For the lentils: In a large saucepan or deep skillet, simmer the lentils with the broth, water, kosher salt, thyme, and garlic powder for about 15 to 20 minutes until tender. Drain excess liquid.
- Make the dressing: In a large bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, Dijon mustard, onion powder, and oregano. Whisk in the olive oil 1 tablespoon at a time until it’s creamy and emulsified.
- Chop the veggies: Thinly slice the shallot. Thinly slice the red pepper, then cut the slices in half to make pieces about 2-inches long. If using the herbs, chop them.
- Mix together the salad: Place the lentils in the large bowl with the dressing. Add the shallot, pepper, herbs, baby arugula, feta cheese, and pistachios. Add the 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and fresh ground pepper and mix to combine.
- Serve: If desired, serve over arugula. Garnish with thinly sliced radish, with an additional sprinkle of feta and pistachios. Refrigerate any leftovers for up to 4 days (if you’re planning to make for lunches, omit the pistachios). It saves well and leftovers taste even better!
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Lentil Salad