This grilled vegetable healthy tacos recipe features charred zucchini and onion, taco-spiced lentils, and a creamy sauce to tie it all together.
For the lentils
- 1 1/4 cups brown lentils (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon each paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (or more, depending on your spice tolerance)
For the grilled vegetables
- 1 summer squash
- 1 zucchini
- 1 onion
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
For the tacos toppings
- Preheat a grill to medium heat.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 3/4 cups water to a boil (and add a pinch of kosher salt). Once boiling, add the brown lentils, cover and reduce heat. Simmer covered for 20 to 25 minutes, until most of the water has been absorbed.
- Turn off the heat, then stir in the olive oil, ketchup, chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, kosher salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Meanwhile, cut the squash, zucchini and onion into thin strips. Place them in a bowl; toss with enough olive oil to coat, and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables until tender, for about 5 minutes, turning frequently.
- Make the pickled red onions and the sauce of your choosing (Chili lime sour cream, Cashew cream, Chipotle sauce, or Creamy cilantro sauce).
- To serve, add lentils to a warmed tortilla; top with grilled vegetables, pickled onions, and chili lime sour cream.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: Mexican Inspired
Keywords: Healthy Tacos, Healthy Taco Recipe, Lentil Tacos, Lentil Taco Recipe, Grilled Vegetables, Grilled Vegetable Tacos, Grilled Tacos