This hearty butternut squash lentil soup is a comforting and nutrient dense superfood soup, featuring lentils, kale, and leeks.
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 carrots
- 3 large leeks or 1 large yellow onion (or a combination; 1 leek and 1 yellow onion works well)
- 1 medium butternut squash (4 to 5 cups diced; use frozen diced as a time saver)
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale or Swiss chard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 cups vegetable stock (we used 6 cups broth and 2 water)
- 1 1/2 cups brown or green lentils
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- Mince the garlic. Peel and chop the carrots into half moons.
- Chop the leeks (watch the video!): chop off the dark green stems and the bottom roots, then slice each in half length-wise. Place each leek half cut-side down on the cutting board, then chop it into thin half-moons. Rinse thoroughly in a colander to remove any dirt.
- Chop the butternut squash (watch the video!): Slice off the neck of the squash and peel it with a vegetable peeler. Peel the base. Slice the base in half and scoop out the seeds. Slice the neck into thin rectangles, then into long slices. Turn the slices the other way and dice. Cut the base into thin slices and then dice into small squares.
- Wash and chop the kale (watch the video!). You can also wait to do this step while the soup simmers in Step 6.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil; add the leeks or onions and sauté until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add carrots and garlic and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until softened.
- Add the squash, vegetable broth, lentils, thyme, oregano, and kosher salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until the lentils and butternut squash are soft (taste test a few). In the last few minutes, add the chopped chard and simmer until tender. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. If desired, stir in the lemon juice.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: butternut squash lentil soup