Ready in just 30 minutes, this Tuscan bean soup has a rich umami flavor thanks to the addition of smoked paprika and fennel.
- 1 bulb fennel
- 2 bunches Tuscan kale or other dark leafy greens (Swiss chard, spinach, mustard greens)
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes (San Marzano, if possible)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or canned broth)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pecorino cheese to garnish (optional)
- Chop the fennel bulb (reserve some sprigs for a garnish). Wash and roughly chop the kale. Drain and rinse the cannellini beans.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat, then sauté the fennel for 5 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes with their juices and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, water and cannellini beans. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and add the red pepper flakes, dried basil, smoked paprika, and kosher salt.
- Add the kale and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Serve garnished with grated Pecorino cheese and fennel sprigs.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: tuscan bean soup