This Instant Pot split pea soup is the ultimate meal: filling, plant based, and easy to make in a pressure cooker. It’s a tasty healthy vegan dinner recipe!
- Finely chop the onion. Finely chop the carrots and celery.
- Turn on Saute mode and add the olive oil to the Instant Pot. When it is heated, add the onion, celery and carrots and saute for 7 minutes until the onions are softened. Add the broth, kosher salt and split peas to the Instant Pot. Lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Place the pressure release handle (vent) in the “Sealing” position.
- Cook on High Pressure for 15 minutes: Press the Pressure Cook button, making sure the “High Pressure” setting is selected, and set the time. Note that it takes 10 to 15 minutes for the pot to “preheat” and come up to pressure before it starts cooking. (During cooking, avoid touching the metal part of the lid.)
- Quick release: Vent the remaining steam from the Instant Pot by moving the pressure release handle to “Venting”, covering your hand with a towel or hot pad. Never put your hands or face near the vent when releasing steam. Open the pressure cooker lid.
- Add the final flavorings: Stir in the grated garlic (you can grate right into the pot) and liquid smoke, some fresh ground pepper. Add a little more kosher salt if you’d like. Allow to cool and thicken for about 10 minutes before serving (it thickens as it cools). Garnish with hot sauce. Serve with crushed crackers or biscuits.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Plant Based
Keywords: Instant Pot Split Pea Soup, Vegan Split Pea Soup