Instant Pot ramen? You bet. You can use a pressure cooker to make steaming bowls of umami-packed noodles! It’s total comfort food.
- 4 eggs*
- 1 cup sweet yellow onion, sliced
- 8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms
- 1 cup Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 large carrots
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons miso paste, divided
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 8 ounces dry ramen noodles
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Make the eggs:* Go to Soft Boiled Eggs or Instant Pot Soft Boiled Eggs.
- Prep the veggies: Slice the onion. Slice the mushrooms. Thinly slice the cabbage. Thinly slice the green onions. Thinly slice the garlic. Slice carrots into matchsticks.
- Turn on Saute mode (on Medium) and heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the onion and cook 4 minutes until lightly browned on the edges. Add the garlic 30 seconds just browned, stirring constantly. Add the vegetable broth and water, and turn off Saute mode.
- Stir in the mushrooms and carrots, miso paste and mirin. Lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Place the pressure release handle (vent) in the “Sealing” position.
- Cook on High Pressure for 3 minutes: Press the Pressure Cook button, making sure the “High Pressure” setting is selected, and set the time. Note that it takes about 10 minutes for the pot to “preheat” and come up to pressure before it starts cooking. (During cooking, avoid touching the metal part of the lid.)
- Quick release: Vent the remaining steam from the Instant Pot by moving the pressure release handle to “Venting”, covering your hand with a towel or hot pad. Never put your hands or face near the vent when releasing steam. Open the pressure cooker lid.
- Turn on Saute mode to Low. Add the noodles and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. (Or if you’re planning to have leftovers or are making in advance for meal prep, cook the noodles on the stovetop according to the package instructions. If you’re planning to serve the ramen right away, you can cook the noodles in the pressure cooker: they just soak up a lot of the broth as they sit. )
- Stir in remaining ingredients: Stir in the coconut milk, green onions, cabbage, spinach and cook 1 minute more. Taste and add about 1 tablespoon more miso paste to taste.
- Serve: To serve, place the noodles into four bowls. Top with the broth, tofu, peeled soft boiled eggs, and vegetables. Garnish with a splash of soy sauce if desired. Don’t allow the noodles to sit in the broth for long, or they will soak it all up! Store leftovers with the broth and noodles in separate containers (to avoid the noodles soaking up all of the broth).
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Ramen
Keywords: Instant Pot Ramen