Want a recipe for boiling beets? Here’s a step by step tutorial on how to boil beets on the stovetop until they’re perfectly tender.
- 1 to 8 beets
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Wash the beets. Then trim off all but about 1 inch of the beet greens. Leaving on the stem helps keep the beets from “bleeding” out too much red juice, though they will still bleed into the water. (You can save the beet greens: here’s the best recipe for beet greens!)
- Once the water is boiling, add the beets. Boil 20 to 40 minutes until tender when pierced with a knife. Smaller beets take about 20 minutes, medium beets about 30 minutes and large beets about 40 minutes or more.
- Allow the beets to cool for a few minutes, then place them under cool water and rub off the skins with your fingers. (It’s a little messy and your fingers will get a little stained, but it’s ok! The beet juice washes off.)
- Season with salt as desired. Serve immediately, or keep them refrigerated in a sealed container for 3 to 5 days (keep them whole to stay the freshest).
- Category: Cooking Method
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: Boiling Beets, How to boil beets, How long to boil beets