This mulled wine recipe is easy and classic, starring a bold red, mulling spices, brandy and orange. The ideal hot alcoholic drink for a crowd!
- 10 allspice berries
- 10 whole cloves
- 3 star anise pods
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 750 ml bottle dry red wine*
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- ¼ cup brandy or Cognac
- 1 small orange, for garnish
- Add the spices to the bottom of a pot. Toast over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Turn the heat to low. Add the water, then pour in the wine and maple syrup and stir. Warm for 30 minutes on low heat, just barely bubbling. Do not let the wine come to a full simmer (or the liquid will reduce too much).
*Double the recipe for a party: for the Slow Cooker and Instant Pot it’s nice to have the doubled quantities.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Hot alcoholic drinks, hot cocktails