Sopes are a traditional Mexican recipe that are even easier to make than homemade tortillas! Fill them with black beans or meat for a tasty dinner recipe.
For the sopes:
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 2 1/2 cups Easy Refried Black Beans, Refried Pinto Beans, or Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Shredded romaine
- 1-hour Quick Pickled Onions (or sliced red onions)
- Chipotle Cashew Cream or Vegan Sour Cream (or sour cream)
- Mexican hot sauce
- Mix the flour with the salt and gradually stir in the oil and nearly all of the water. Mix it together with your hands until a soft dough forms, with the consistency similar to playdough. Continue adding little bits of water until the correct consistency is achieved.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces and roll them into balls, then cover them with a kitchen towel.
- Cut a gallon-sized plastic bag into 2 large squares. Get out a pie plate with a flat bottom or tortilla press.
- Heat a pan or skillet over high heat.
- While heating the skillet, place one of the dough balls between the two squares of plastic. Using a large pie plate with a flat bottom (or a tortilla press), apply pressure until you have a flat and even disk.
- Place the masa disk onto the griddle, and cook until it looks dry on the top, about 1 minute. Then flip it over and cook another 20 to 30 seconds until fully cooked. Place the cooked sope on a baking sheet and wait about 30 seconds until it has cooled, then pinch the edges up with your fingers to form the borders. Continue for all sopes. (This process works well with a helper!)
- To serve, spread with a thin layer of refried beans, then top with lettuce, pickled onions, hot sauce, and a dollop of cashew cream.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: sopes, sopes recipe, vegan Mexican recipe