This red homemade enchilada sauce has the best flavor! It’s all natural, cheaper than store-bought, and quick and easy to make.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup minced yellow onion (1/2 large)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 6 ounce can tomato paste (10 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Mince the onion. Mince the garlic.
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 5 minutes until golden and tender but not browned. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Carefully pour in the vegetable broth, and then add the remaining ingredients: tomato paste, adobo sauce, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, chili powder, and kosher salt. Bring to a simmer, where the sauce is gently bubbling, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the contents to a blender (use a ladle to keep from splashing). Blend until smooth. Use immediately or place in a jar and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Homemade Enchilada Sauce, Red Enchilada Sauce