This sweet potato kale soup features black beans and is flavored with cumin and lime; it’s a hearty gluten-free and vegan soup recipe.
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4 medium garlic cloves
- 1 15-ounce can SimplyNature Organic Black Beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (3 cups cubed)
- 1 quart (4 cups) SimplyNature Organic Vegetable Broth
- 4 cups chopped SimplyNature Organic Kale (about 3 ounces)
- 3 green onions
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 6 tablespoons Friendly Farms plain Greek yogurt, as a garnish (optional)
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Dice the onion. Mince the garlic. Dice the sweet potato. Drain and rinse the beans.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté 4 minutes, until translucent. Reduce the heat to medium, add the garlic, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne (optional), and sauté for 30 seconds. Stir in the sweet potatoes, then add the vegetable broth, beans, and kosher sea salt and bring to a simmer.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and simmer 15 minutes until the sweet potato is tender. While simmering, roughly chop the kale. Thinly slice the green onions and radishes.
- When the sweet potatoes are tender, remove from the heat and stir in the kale, green onions, and lime juice. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Taste, and if desired add additional kosher sea salt to taste. Serve garnished with radishes, a small dollop of Greek yogurt (optional), and hot sauce.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Latin
Keywords: Soup, Vegan Soup, Vegetarian Soup, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Vegan, Sweet Potato, Kale, Black Beans, Black Bean Soup, Sweet Potato Soup