Grilled cheese and tomato soup is the best classic combination! Here’s how to make stellar versions of both.
For the tomato soup (makes 4 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28-ounce can and 1 15-ounce can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- Optional: ½ cup chopped fresh basil, 1 splash heavy cream
For the grilled cheese (makes 1 sandwich; multiply as desired):
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 3 to 4 tablespoons grated smoked gouda cheese
- 3 to 4 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese (or other cheese of choice)
- 1 tablespoon fig, tomato or apricot jam, 1 teaspoon honey, or 6 apple or pear slices
- Start the soup: Heat the olive oil to medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute until light brown and fragrant. Stir in both cans of tomatoes, vegetable broth, garlic powder, onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and basil (if using). Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer the soup: Simmer 15 to 20 minutes until slightly thickened and the tomato flavor mellows.
- Meanwhile, make the grilled cheese: Spread mayonnaise on the outside of each slice of bread, and jam or honey on the inside of one of the slices. Place a skillet over medium high heat and add one slice of bread, mayo side down. Top with the shredded cheese (and apple, if using) and other slice of bread. Cook until the bread is golden brown and toasted, then flip and cook a few minutes more until the second bread slice is toasted and the cheese is warm. If you’re making multiple sandwiches, make the sandwiches as noted, then bake them on an oiled or parchment lined baking sheet at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for about 5 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Finish the soup: Immersion blend the soup or carefully transfer to a blender and blend until smooth (this step makes it creamier; you can skip this step if you’re ok with the texture as is). Then stir in the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons salted butter. For a richer soup, you can also stir in a splash of heavy cream.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Grilled cheese and tomato soup