This authentic Greek salad is packed with fresh tomatoes, crisp cucumber, salty feta cheese, and briny olives: just like they make it in Greece!
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 large red onion
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1 cup Kalamata olives
- 4 ounces high quality feta cheese: crumbled, cut into squares, or in a block (Greek feta, if you can find it!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons capers (optional)
- Kosher salt
- Chop the tomatoes into rough chunks; remove and discard the seeds. Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and add a few pinches of kosher salt.
- Thinly slice 1/2 red onion. Peel alternating strips from the cucumbers, making a striped pattern with the peel (alternatively, remove the peel entirely). Cut the cucumbers in half and use a spoon to remove the seeds; then, cut them into ½-inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, red onion, and cucumbers with 1 cup Kalamata olives, 4 ounces feta cheese crumbles, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar. If desired, add 2 tablespoons drained capers and 1 teaspoon dried oregano. Gently mix to combine.
- Serve immediately, or let sit at room temperature for several minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: Greek salad