Here’s how to make goat cheese pizza, with gooey pockets of cheese and a tangy tomato sauce. It’s irresistible!
- 1 recipe Best Pizza Dough, Thin Crust Pizza Dough or Pizza Oven Dough
- 1/3 cup Homemade Pizza Sauce (required!)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 ounces soft goat cheese (chevre)
- 1 handful red onion slices
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Make the pizza dough: Follow the Best Pizza Dough, Thin Crust Pizza Dough or Pizza Oven Dough recipes to prepare the dough. (This takes about 15 minutes to make and 45 minutes to rest.)
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500°F. OR preheat your pizza oven (here’s the pizza oven we use).
- Make the pizza sauce: Make the Homemade Pizza Sauce. (You’ll use about ⅓ cup for the pizza; reserve the remaining sauce and refrigerate for up to 1 week.)
- Bake the pizza: When the oven is ready, dust a pizza peel with cornmeal or semolina flour. (If you don’t have a pizza peel, you can use a rimless baking sheet or the back of a rimmed baking sheet. But a pizza peel is well worth the investment!) Stretch the dough into a circle; see How to Stretch Pizza Dough for instructions. Then gently place the dough onto the pizza peel.
- Spread a thin layer of the pizza sauce over the dough. Add the mozzarella cheese. Add the goat cheese in large dollops (be generous!). Sprinkle with the red onion slices and dried oregano. Add a few pinches of kosher salt and some fresh ground pepper, to taste.
- Use the pizza peel to carefully transfer the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone. Bake the pizza until the cheese and crust are nicely browned, about 5 to 7 minutes in the oven (or 1 to 2 minutes in a pizza oven).
- Allow the pizza to cool for a minute or two before adding the basil on top (whole leaves, lightly torn, or thinly sliced). Slice into pieces and serve immediately.
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian inspired
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Goat cheese pizza