This gluten free apple crisp really is the best! The crumble topping is delightfully crunchy: no one would guess it’s gluten-free.
- 2 pounds sweet tart, crisp cooking apples, about 6 cups (4 large or 6 medium)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, plus 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each ginger and allspice
- 3/4 cup almond flour (not almond meal)
- 3/4 cup Old Fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Make the filling: Core, peel and thinly slice the apples. In a large bowl, combine the apples with the lemon juice, lemon zest, cornstarch, granulated sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice in a large bowl and toss until well coated. Pour it into a round 9-inch pie pan, 9 x 9 inch baking dish or 7 x 11 baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, make the crumble topping: stir together the almond flour, oats, brown sugar, and kosher salt. Add the vanilla and stir. Cut the butter into small pieces and add it to the bowl. Use a pastry cutter or fork to mix it into the dry ingredients until fully distributed and a crumbly dough forms. It may take a while, so be patient; mix until all butter chunks are incorporated.
- Evenly distribute the crumble over the top of the apples, breaking the topping into small crumbles as you add it.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until browned and bubbly. Cool for 1 hour. Then serve with vanilla ice cream. Stores refrigerated for 3 days or freeze up to 3 months in a sealed container. Reheat it in a 350 degree oven until bubbly and the topping is crisp.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Baked
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Gluten free apple crisp, gluten-free apple crisp, apple crisp gluten free, gluten free apple crumble