This brownie pie recipe is fudgy and decadent, with a salted tahini maple sauce that puts it over the top! Add it to your repertoire of delicious gluten free desserts.
For the brownie pie
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 13 tablespoons softened unsalted butter or coconut oil, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
For the tahini maple spread
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup grade A maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 357F (190C) and have an oiled 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan or cake pan nearby.
- To make the brownie pie, sift the cocoa powder, espresso, baking soda and salt into a bowl and set aside. In the microwave or over a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of the butter, stirring until the chocolate comes together into a thick fudge. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or with an electric mixer, cream together the sugar, vanilla, and remaining 11 tablespoons of butter until pale, scraping down the sides of the bowl and the beater as you go. Separate 3 of the eggs and add the egg yolks, one at a time, waiting until they are fully incorporate before adding another yolk (save the whites for Step 5). Then add 1 whole egg and mix to combine.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the cooled chocolate butter mixture at a time, continuing to beat after each addition until fully incorporated. Mix in the dry ingredients, beating until just combined.
- In a separate clean metal bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes. Make sure no bites of egg yolk sneak into the bowl, or the fat in the yolk won’t allow the whites to lift while beating. Add the whipped egg whites to the batter in 3 additions, folding gently to keep the air in the whites from deflating. Once it’s mostly combined (a few streaks of white is okay), pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake the brownie pie for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the crust gets shiny and cracks, and a toothpick inserted into one of the cracks comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- To make the tahini spread, combine the tahini, maple syrup, espresso powder, salt and vanilla in a blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth and creamy and almost all the granules of espresso are no longer visible. Serve alongside a slice of the brownie pie.
Reprinted with permission from Black Girl Baking by Jerrelle Guy
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Brownie Pie, Brownie Pie Recipe, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Desserts, Gluten Free Desserts