The combination of chewy farro with mushrooms, tender vegetables, and gooey cheese is too hard to resist in this easy farro roasted vegetable salad.
- 4 carrots
- 3 medium red onions
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups dry farro
- 4 ounces Monterrey jack or Fontina cheese
- 1 handful parsley
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel and chop the carrots. Slice the red onions. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Chop the mushrooms. Peel the garlic cloves and cut them into quarters.
- Place the vegetables in a bowl and mix with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then top with the vegetables. Place the tray in the oven and roast for 25 to 35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender.
- Place 2 cups farro in a pot with 6 cups of water. Season with kosher salt and bring to a low boil. Cook for about 15 minutes, until tender. (If you have an Instant Pot, go to Instant Pot Farro and use 2 cups farro and 3 cups water.)
- Chop the cheese into cubes. Finely chop the parsley (using the same method as how to chop cilantro video instructions).
- When the vegetables are done, combine the farro, vegetables, cheese and parsley, then stir in the balsamic vinegar and another 2 tablespoons olive oil. Adjust seasonings to taste, adding additional vinegar, kosher salt or fresh ground pepper if desired. Serve warm.
Inspired by The Kitchn
- Category: Salad
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: farro with mushrooms, farro recipe, recipes with farro, what is farro, whole grain recipes, whole grains