This quick and easy vegetarian ramen recipe is fun to make and oh so flavorful! Packed with umami, this noodle bowl makes a satisfying, slurpable meal.
- 4 eggs
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1-inch nub ginger root (1 tablespoon minced ginger)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 4 cups young baby greens (we used a mix of young Asian greens and tatsoi)
- 3 sweet peppers (optional)
- 3 green onions
- 16 ounces ramen noodles (fresh if possible)*
- 4 radishes, for garnish
- Purchased garlic chili sauce, for garnish
- Soft boil the eggs: Fill a medium pot of water and bring it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Gently lower the eggs into the water with a spoon and simmer for 7 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare a bowl of ice water. When the eggs are done, place them in the ice bath and let them cool completely, then gently peel.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the garlic. Peel and mince the ginger.
- In another large pot or Dutch oven, heat the sesame oil and olive oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and saute for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Add the soy sauce and mirin.
- Remove the stems from the shiitake mushrooms and thinly slice them. If necessary, wash the greens. Thinly slice the peppers and slice the green onions (cut the green onions on the bias). Thinly slice the radishes for a garnish, and set aside. Place the mushrooms in the broth and cook 5 minutes. Add peppers, green onion and greens and cook for 1 minute. Taste the broth and season with salt until the flavor pops, adding a splash of soy sauce if needed.
- In the pot used for the eggs, bring fresh water to a boil and boil the ramen noodles until just tender, around 2 to 3 minutes, then drain.
- To serve, place noodles in a bowl and top with broth, vegetables, and soft-boiled eggs. Garnish with radishes and garlic chili sauce.
*We found our fresh ramen in the frozen section in our local Asian grocery. If you can’t find fresh ramen, you can use packaged ramen without the flavor packet. For a vegan ramen, omit egg and ensure pasta does not contain egg.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Boiled
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: vegetarian ramen, ramen, easy, simple, vegetarian, japanese, eggs, fresh noodles, vegan