This easy curried butternut squash soup recipe is perfect, creamy and seasoned with ginger and curry paste. Your search for the best squash soup is over!
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 4 medium carrots (1 cup chopped)
- 1 medium butternut squash (4 cups chopped)*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk, plus more to garnish
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cilantro, for the garnish
- Dice the onion. Mince the ginger. Peel and chop the carrots. Dice the butternut squash.
- In a medium stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the ginger, carrots, squash, vegetable broth and kosher salt and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook until carrots are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- When the carrots are soft, add the chickpeas, coconut milk, and red curry paste, and carefully blend with an immersion blender (or in a blender) until the smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, lime wedges, and extra coconut milk if desired.
*As a time saver, substitute frozen cubed butternut squash.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai Inspired
Keywords: Curried Butternut Squash Soup