This creamy coconut curry soup is a “pantry soup” made of only pantry ingredients! It comes together in under 30 minutes and is a simple plant based meal.
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 large shallots (substitute 1 yellow onion)
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons best quality curry powder*
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried ground coriander
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 15-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- Olive oil, for garnish
- Pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- Mince the garlic and the shallots. Drain the chickpeas.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the shallots and sauté 2 to 3 minutes, until translucent (alternatively, sauté the onion 4 to 5 minutes).
- Add the garlic, curry powder, cumin, coriander and cayenne, and stir for 1 minute. Pour in the white wine vinegar and stir until it evaporates, about 10 seconds. Add the chickpeas, vegetable broth, and kosher salt. Bring to a boil and boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir in the maple syrup and all but about 1/4 cup coconut milk; reserve the remaining coconut milk for a garnish. Remove the soup from the heat and use an immersion blender or blender to puree until completely smooth. (If using an immersion blender, the soup will become quite foamy; stir for a minute or so to reincorporate the foam into the soup.) Taste, and add maple syrup or a few pinches salt to taste. Allow to cool slightly before serving, which will allow to soup to thicken slightly and the flavor to develop.
- To serve, garnish each bowl with extra coconut milk, a drizzle of olive oil, and pepitas (and get creative with your designs!).
*The flavor of the soup will highly depend on the curry powder you use, so use the best brand you can find. If the curry powder you use is spicy, you may want to reduce the amount to taste. Using shallots instead of onion adds a unique, delicate flavor.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: Coconut Curry Soup, Curry Soup, Coconut Curry, Coconut Soup, Pantry Soup, Creamy Soup, Immersion Blender