Frozen chocolate covered bananas are the perfect easy and healthy dessert! Store them in the freezer for whenever you crave a sweet bite.
- 2 ripe medium bananas
- 1 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips* (5 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
- 1 pinch salt
- Toppings (optional): 2 tablespoons each crushed peanuts, crushed pistachios, and all natural sprinkles
- Freeze the bananas (45 minutes): Slice bananas into 1/4-inch rounds. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for 45 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate: Start a pot of simmering water. Place the chocolate, coconut oil, and salt in a glass measuring cup or large wide mouth jar, and place it into the simmering water. Very carefully, stir the chocolate until it melts, using a hot pad or gloves to hold the glass. Do not let any of the water splash, or it will split the chocolate. (You can also melt the chocolate in the microwave in a liquid measuring cup, heating for about 30 second intervals and then stirring several times until the chocolate melts.)
- Dip and top the bananas: Make sure your toppings are ready, if using. Leave the jar in the double boiler to keep the chocolate warm. Use a fork to dip each banana slice into the jar, then shake off excess chocolate. Transfer the slice to the parchment lined baking sheet, using your finger to gently slide off the banana. Add toppings immediately (the chocolate freezes quickly) — this process is easiest with 2 people, 1 person to dip and 1 person to top. This recipe uses only 1 cup of chocolate for the bananas, but it’s nice to have extra chocolate to make the dipping process easier. You can dip pretzels or cereal into the remaining chocolate, or discard it.
- Freeze: Return the bananas to the freezer and freeze for 30 minutes. Then transfer the banana bites to a freezer safe container. Store up to 1 month.
*Only about 1 cup is used in the recipe, but you’ll need the extra to make the dipping process easier. Find extra items to dip into the remaining chocolate if you like (like pretzels, cereal, etc).
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Frozen
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: Chocolate covered bananas, Frozen chocolate covered bananas, How to make chocolate covered bananas, Chocolate covered banana bites