This chickpea soup recipe with rice and lemon is bright and restorative! Cozy up to a bowl of this satisfyingly healthy, easy soup.
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced (1-inch nub)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 3 cups baby spinach (or chopped greens like kale or chard)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (half lemon)
- Prepare the vegetables: Dice the onion. Peel and chop the carrots. Chop the celery. Peel the ginger with a spoon, then mince the ginger. Mince the garlic. Drain the chickpeas.
- Prepare the soup: In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, chickpeas, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, garlic powder, turmeric, 1 teaspoon salt, rice and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the spinach and lemon zest and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Taste and add a pinch more salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Serve warm (garnish with grated Parmesan for a flavor punch, if you like). Stores 3 days refrigerated; the rice soaks up the broth over time, so add a splash or water and a pinch of salt when reheating leftovers.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Soup
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Chickpea soup, chickpea soup recipe, rice soup