This cast iron pizza recipe is a dream! A heavy skillet makes a fluffy deep dish pizza crust that’s perfect every time.
For the pizza dough (for a 10-inch cast iron skillet*)
- 188 grams (1 1/2 cups) Tipo 00 or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant or active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 118 grams (1/2 cup) warm water
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
For the topping**
- 4 baby bella mushrooms or one portabella mushroom
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 bell pepper (or 1/4 green and 1/4 red)
- 1 handful thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup Easy Pizza Sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Dried oregano
- Make the dough (15 minutes): Combine the flour, yeast, salt, oregano and garlic powder in a bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer. Stir to combine. Add the water and olive oil and stir until a raggy dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface.
- Knead the dough by pushing with the base of your palm, then reforming it into a ball. Continue kneading for 8 minutes until the dough feels pillowy and has a smooth, stretchy exterior. If the dough is very sticky, add a small amount of flour while kneading. Alternatively: attach the dough hook to a stand mixer and start the mixer on medium-low speed, then allow the mixer to knead for 8 minutes.
- Proof the dough (45 minutes to 1 hour): Generously the oil bottom and sides of a 10” cast iron skillet with olive oil. When the kneading is finished, use floured hands to gently shape the dough into a boule (ball shape) by folding the dough under itself. Set the dough in the center of the skillet and dab the dough with a bit of olive oil to keep it moist. Cover with a damp towel and allow them to rise until doubled in size and spread out, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Press and proof again (45 minutes): Remove the towel and drizzle with a tad of olive oil. Use your fingers to press the dough out into a circle to the edges of the pan. Cover and rest for 45 minutes.
- Preheat: When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 475F.
- Prep the toppings: Slice the baby bella mushrooms. Heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Saute the mushrooms and fennel seeds for about 3 to 5 minutes, until they become golden brown and start to release moisture. Add 2 pinches of kosher salt and cook another minute, then remove from the heat.
- Finely dice the green pepper. Thinly slice the red pepper. Thinly slice the red onion.
- Top and bake the pizza (20 minutes): When the dough is ready, spread the pizza sauce over the dough using the back of a spoon to create a thin layer all the way to the edges of the dough. Add the mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Top with the mushrooms, peppers, and red onion. Sprinkle with dried oregano and a few pinches of kosher salt. Top with another light sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
- Place the skillet on a stovetop burner on high heat for two minutes. Then transfer to the oven and bake 13 to 17 minutes until the cheese is browned. Run a butter knife around the edge of the pan so that the cheese doesn’t stick, then cool it to cool slightly. After a minute or so, remove the pizza to a cutting board and slice it into pieces. Serve immediately.
**If you have a 12-inch skillet, make 1.5 times the recipe.
*Or, use any pizza toppings you like! Go to our Pizza Recipes for inspiration.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian inspired
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Cast iron pizza, cast iron skillet pizza, cast iron pizza recipe, cast iron deep dish pizza, cast iron pan pizza