Caprese flatbread is a quick dinner or easy appetizer recipe, staring the classic combination of tomatoes, mozzarella and basil!
- 4 purchased naan breads (or other purchased flatbread*)
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup Easy Pizza Sauce or purchased pizza sauce (or omit for a simpler flatbread)
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 large handful basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Balsamic reduction or glaze (purchased or homemade)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the mozzarella cheese into ¼ inch thick pieces. Allow it to sit on a paper towel to remove moisture for about 15 minutes while you prepare the pizzas, then dab the mozzarella with the paper towel to remove any additional moisture.
- Make the pizza sauce (time saving tip: you can also stir together the ingredients in a bowl instead of blending them!).
- Place the naan bread directly on the oven grates. Bake 3 minutes. Flip and bake another 2 minutes until lightly crisped on the outside and toasted.
- Carefully remove the naan from the oven grates and place them on 2 baking sheets. Spread each with a thin layer of pizza sauce, then add the mozzarella cheese, Parmesan or Pecorino cheese, cherry tomatoes, and a sprinkle of kosher salt.
- Place the baking sheets in the oven and bake until the cheese melts, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from the oven. (You may notice some extra moisture after baking: you can dab lightly with a paper towel as necessary.) Slice the flatbread into pieces and top with thinly sliced basil. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve. This works as a main dish or an appetizer (can be served room temperature on a platter).
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian inspired
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Caprese flatbread