This broccoli stir fry makes this green vegetable taste irresistible! Serve it as a tasty side dish, or add a protein and you’ve got dinner.
- 1 1/2 pounds (2 large heads) broccoli
- 1 head broccolini (or 1 additional head of broccoli)
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated (about a 2-inch nub)
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (regular, not toasted)
- Kosher salt
- For the garnish: sliced green onion, sesame seeds (optional)
- To serve as a main dish: Add 3/4 cup cashews with broccoli*, or make Marinated Tofu or Sauteed Shrimp (with sesame oil and lime) and serve with rice
- Chop the broccoli and broccolini into large florets (about 6 cups florets total). Chop the red onion into bite sized squares. Dice the pepper into bite sized squares. Remove the stems from the portobellos (if necessary), slice them into strips, then cut the larger pieces in half. Place all of the vegetables in a large bowl.
- Mince the garlic. Peel the ginger and grate it. Place them together in a small bowl.
- Stir together the mirin, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and Sriracha in a small bowl.
- In a large skillet over high heat, and heat the oil. Add the broccoli, broccolini (if using), red onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms and cook 6 to 7 minutes until just starting to brown on edges, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and ginger cook for 1 minute more, until broccoli is crisp tender but still bright green. Turn off the heat and add the sauce, stirring until combined. Taste and add additional pinches salt as necessary. Serve immediately. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion (optional).
*Adding cashews would serve about 2 to 3 as a vegetarian main; adding tofu can stretch it to 4.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Broccoli Stir Fry