This vodka sauce recipe is Italian grandmother style, simmered to perfection with tomatoes, garlic, butter, and Parmesan cheese.
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes (or best quality crushed tomatoes)
- 1/3 cup high-quality vodka
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 large basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut in half
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Mince the garlic.
- Melt the butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, vodka, oregano, red pepper flakes, and kosher salt. Stir to combine. Add the whole basil leaves and halved onion and simmer for 1 hour with the lid tilted, stirring occasionally.
- After the simmering time, remove the onion. Carefully transfer the sauce to a blender, or use an immersion blender to blend the sauce.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese until it melts. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving. Makes enough to add to 1 pound pasta.
- Category: Essentials
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Vodka Sauce, Vodka Sauce Recipe, How to Make Vodka Sauce