This versatile autumn salad is hearty and satisfying, starring whole grain farro, tart cherries, arugula, apples, and feta cheese!
- 1 1/2 cups dry pearled farro
- 15-ounce can Oregon Fruit tart cherries or 3/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons Dijon or stone-ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot
- 1 tart apple
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup feta cheese crumbles (goat cheese would also work)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- In a saucepan over high heat, bring 9 cups of water to a boil. Add the farro, stir once, and continue to boil uncovered for about 20 minutes, bubbling rapidly. Taste a grain of farro; if the grain is plump and tender, remove the pan from the heat and pour it into a strainer. (If not, continue to cook and taste until tender.) Rinse with lukewarm water to cool slightly and shake it dry. Brands of farro can vary, so adjust the cook time as necessary. Or, if you have an Instant Pot, go to Instant Pot Farro.
- For the vinaigrette, drain the cherries. Finely chop 2 tablespoons of the cherries, then reserve the remainder for the salad. Combine chopped cherries, vinegar, maple syrup, and mustard in a small bowl. Drizzle in oil, whisking constantly, until incorporated.
- With the remaining cherries, roughly break some of them in half, or slice them in half. Thinly slice the shallot into rings. Chop the apple into very small bite-sized pieces. When farro is done, mix it with 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Then in a large bowl, combine the farro, cherries, shallot, apple, arugula, feta crumbles, and cherry vinaigrette. Top with fresh ground pepper. Taste and adjust flavors as desired. (When serving leftovers, drizzle a bit of olive oil over the salad if you find it to be dry.)
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Farro salad, Salad with Farro, Farro Recipes, Tart Cherries, Arugula Salad, Feta Salad, Whole Grain Salads, Whole Grain Recipes, tart cherry recipes