This flavor-packed asparagus risotto pairs creamy arborio rice with Parmesan and lemony roasted asparagus. A true crowd pleaser!
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 quart water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound asparagus
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lemon (Zest from half, plus 4 slices from the other half)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups white arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional garnish: Toasted pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat the broth: Combine the broth, water, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a saucepan and place it over low heat. (You’ll use this warmed broth to stir into the risotto).
- Cut the vegetables: Mince the onion, then place it in a bowl and reserve. Cut off the tough bottom ends of the asparagus and then cut them into two-inch pieces.
- Prep the asparagus: Add the asparagus stalks to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle them with 1 tablespoon olive oil, then sprinkle on 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Add the zest of 1/2 lemon and mix with your hands. Thinly slice 2 lemon wheels from the lemon, then cut each in half and add them right on the tray.
- Start the risotto: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and the 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced onion and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until tender. Add the garlic powder and rice and cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes until the rice starts to turn light brown. Stir in the wine and cook until the liquid is fully absorbed.
- Roast the asparagus: Place the tray with the asparagus in the oven and 10 to 15 minutes, until bright green and tender when pierced by a fork at the thickest part. The timing will depend on the thickness of the asparagus spears. (You’ll remove it from the oven while you’re cooking the risotto in the next step.)
- Meanwhile, cook the risotto: Add two ladles of the hot broth to the risotto. Cook, stirring occasionally until the liquid is fully absorbed, then add two more ladles of both. Cook in this same manner for about 12 minutes, adding two ladles and stirring. After the 12 minutes, taste a grain of rice. If it’s creamy but still al dente in the center, you’re ready for the final step! If not, continue to cook and add broth for a few minutes more.
- Finish the risotto: When the rice is al dente, reduce the heat to low. Add two more ladles of broth, the Parmesan cheese and a few grinds of black pepper. Stir vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes until you’ve got a thick and creamy risotto. Then stir in the asparagus and roasted lemon wedges and serve immediately. Stores refrigerated in a sealed container for 3 days, though the color of the asparagus will fade (reheat before serving).
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Asparagus risotto