Want to eat oatmeal on the go for breakfast? Try these apple oatmeal muffins, made with rolled oats and maple syrup (no flour!).
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour OR rolled oats processed in a food processor into a flour consistency (see below)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk (non dairy milk, for dairy-free), room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup neutral oil (sunflower, vegetable or grapeseed)
- 1 cup diced apple (1 medium apple)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place muffin liners in a 12 cup muffin tin.
- To make the oat flour, place 1 1/2 cups rolled oats in a food processor and process until it is very fine. (Note: Do NOT try this with steel cut oats, as they are a very different texture from rolled oats!)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oat flour, oats, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, baking powder, and kosher salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the milk, egg, maple syrup, and vanilla, then gradually whisk in the oil.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until smooth. Allow to sit for 10 minutes while the oats rehydrate.
- Meanwhile, dice the apple. After 10 minutes, gently fold in the apples to the batter. Then use a 1/4 cup measure to spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until puffed and golden.
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Apple Oatmeal Muffins