What’s in hummus? Here are all the typical hummus ingredients so that you can make it at home. It’s one of our top recipes for healthy snacks!
For the hummus
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 1 large lemon (1/4 cup lemon juice)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the garnish
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Olive oil
- Toasted pinenuts (see below)
- Peel the garlic. Drain the chickpeas into a liquid measuring cup. Juice the lemon.
- Add the garlic to the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, kosher salt, and 2 tablespoons water from the chickpea can (aquafaba). Puree for 30 seconds, then scrape down the bowl. Taste. If necessary, add 1 to 2 tablespoons aquafaba. Puree for 1 to 2 minutes to come to a creamy consistency. Store refrigerated for 7 to 10 days.
- If desired, make the garnish: toast the pinenuts in a dry skillet for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown (or bake in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet for 6 to 8 minutes at 350F).
- Top the hummus with cilantro leaves, a sprinkle of paprika, a drizzle of olive oil, and toasted pinenuts. Serve with veggies, pita bread, or crackers (like these homemade crackers!)
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: homemade hummus, how to make hummus