Here’s a modern spin on wild rice casserole! It’s broccoli cheese flavor, easy to make, and a healthy spin that’s heavy on whole foods.
- 1 full recipe Perfect Wild Rice (with onions and celery)
- 1 1/2 pounds (2 large heads) broccoli (about 4 cups small florets)
- 2 green onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cup (4 ounces) shredded white cheddar cheese (aged, if you’d like)
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Make the rice: Make the full recipe of Perfect Wild Rice with celery and onions, making sure it’s very tender and most grains are burst. (Meal prep tip: Make this in advance and refrigerate until serving. The day of serving, reheat it to warm, or mix with the still-warm broccoli in step 2 to reheat it.)
- Cook the broccoli: Meanwhile, chop the broccoli into small florets. Thinly slice the green onions. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the broccoli florets and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally (the broccoli will lightly brown in parts). Stir in the green onion, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more, until crisp tender but still bright green. Taste and add a few pinches of salt if needed (make the flavor pop!) and fresh ground pepper. Remove to a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the casserole filling: When the wild rice is done, drain it and add the additional salt to taste as part of that recipe. Then place it in the bowl with the broccoli. Mix in the sour cream and 3/4 cup shredded white cheddar cheese. Taste and add additional salt if you’d like (we added 1/4 teaspoon more).
- Bake: Pour the filling into a 9 x 13″ baking dish. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese and the Parmesan cheese. Bake 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Wild Rice Casserole