These homemade whole wheat crackers are essentially a copycat Wheat Thins recipe. Perfect with salsa, hummus, cheese, and more!
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
- Salt and pepper (or other herbs or spices – garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, etc), for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Combine 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon paprika. Mix in 1 tablespoon honey and 4 tablespoons cold butter using a food processor, or by hand using a pastry cutter. Drizzle with ice water (1/4 to 1/2 cup) until a ball forms.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out the dough with a rolling pin until it is very very thin (if the dough sticks, add more flour to the surface). Using a pastry wheel or knife, cut the dough into small squares, and poke each cracker a few times with a fork. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, or other seasonings.
- Bake until crisp, about 7 to 10 minutes. Make sure to watch each batch; timing will depend on how thin your crackers are, with thicker crackers taking longer to bake.
- Cool and move to an airtight container for storage. (Stores for up to 2 weeks, according to the original recipe – ours didn’t make it nearly that long!)
*Doubling the recipe is recommended
- Category: Snack
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: whole wheat crackers, homemade crackers, how to make crackers