This whole grain homemade pita bread requires less than 10 minutes of hands-on prep work. Use these for sandwiches, chips, and more!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup milled flaxseed (or mill your own in a coffee grinder)
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons (1 packet) instant yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup warm water
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine all ingredients and mix with a spatula until a rough ball is formed.
- Attach the dough hook to the mixer and turn on to the lowest setting. Slowly raise the speed to medium, adding more water or flour as necessary to get a dough ball that is just slightly sticky to touch. Knead for 6 minutes at medium speed. When kneading is complete, remove the dough hook. Place the bowl in a warm spot, cover it with a towel, and allow the dough to double in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 500°F, with a pizza stone if available.
- Separate the dough into 8 equal parts. Shape each section into a small ball. On a floured surface, roll each dough ball into a circle using a rolling pin; make each circle about 1/8″ to 1/4″ thick and 7” in diameter.
- Place the dough circles on the pizza stone (or on the oven grates). Bake for 2 minutes on one side, then flip and bake for 2 more minutes. Watch for the dough to puff up as it bakes!
- Remove the pita from the oven, gently compress the puffed bread, and wrap in a tea towel while still warm. Place the towel in a bag for about 15 minutes to capture the steam and allow for a naturally soft and chewy pita.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: homemade pita bread, whole wheat pita bread, pita bread recipe