This vegetarian spaghetti sauce recipe is easy to make and tastes incredible! Everyone’s favorite comfort food just got tastier.
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or olive oil for vegan)
- 1 15-ounce can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon (or dried oregano)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) frozen plant based crumbles* or 1 pound cooked and drained ground beef
- Mince the garlic. Add the butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat: once melted, add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Turn down the heat and carefully add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, tarragon, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and several grinds of black pepper. Add the frozen plant based crumbles (no need to defrost) or cooked and drained ground beef. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes, until the flavors develop. Taste and add a few more pinches of salt to taste (the amount will depend on the brand of plant based crumbles).
*Plant-based crumbles vary widely based on the brand. Review the label to make sure they are not overly processed. We used Beyond Meat Beyond Beef Plant Based Crumbles, which are made of pea protein and have a meat-like texture. Different brands have different textures and ingredients to fit different diets (vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free). Experiment to find a brand you love!
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian inspired
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Homemade spaghetti sauce