This vegetarian polenta uses our favorite creamy polenta recipe as its base and is topped with garlicky greens and a runny egg.
- 1 recipe Creamy Polenta
- 1 1/2 pounds Swiss chard
- 1 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Eggs (1 per person)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Start the Creamy Polenta.
- Meanwhile, wash the chard, remove the stems, and roughly chop the leaves. Thinly slice the onion. Slice the garlic.
- In a large skillet, heat some olive oil. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, around 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add the chard and stir to combine. Cover the pan and sauté until the greens are dark and soft, around 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the cover and let the liquid evaporate for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste (be careful not to add too much salt at this point!).
- In another skillet, heat a bit of olive oil and fry the eggs.
- To serve, place a scoop of polenta in a bowl, top with greens and egg. Sprinkle with cheese, salt, and pepper.
Inspired by Jack Bishop in The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegetarian polenta